Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bricks

Back in the 80's I was running lots of road races and cycling. Most days would find me doing both before I went to work, and  that was part of my regular routine. A few years later, triathletes started calling these workouts "bricks" or when they were combining workouts as preparation for races. Ummmm....

Now it's many years later, and I'm back to doing "bricks." Although this time around the knees don't allow me to run. Since it's winter here in Maine, I decided that it was time to spend more time on my xc ski's. It has been a challenging winter for everyone with the lack of snow, but I've been fortunate to get out a fair amount since January. Of course, that also means that it is quite often very "icey" and not being  a seasoned nordic skiier, well let's just I work a bit harder simply to stay on my feet. :)

Once the skiing is done for the day, then I'm back to the shop to hop on the trainer. Although there is definietly less pounding with nordic skiing versus running, my legs are definitely telling me that this is my own personal version of a "brick." So after a few weeks of doing this type of workout, it was time for me to take a week to "recover." All that simply means is that there is less time on skis/trainer and a lot less effort.

So now that the snow levels are getting very low, I'm going to have to come up with another activity to replace my time on ski's here in the near future. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI Carl,

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your newfound "addiction". We certainly live in an outdoor paradise, so enjoy and spread your passion!

Jackie